Minwax® Gel Stain is specifically designed to give you full control over the staining process and help you achieve beautiful results.
- Its unique non-drip formula makes application easy for vertical surfaces.
- Delivers uniform color evenly on wood and non-wood surfaces, such as metal, veneer, and fiberglass.
[tab title=”Product Details”]
|Application Tool:||brush, cloth or foam applicator|
|Location:||interior or exterior* surfaces
(* must be top-coated with an exterior clear protective finish)
|Dry Time:||24 hours|
|Coverage:||18 sq.m. per litr.|
|Coats:||1 coat. To darken the color, apply a second coat after 8-10 hours.|
|Recommended Uses:||woodwork, furniture, doors, molding, trim, cabinets, accessories|
[tab title=”Wood Projects”]
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue, and existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain using a fine-grade sandpaper (#220) until smooth. Remove all sanding dust.
- To help ensure uniform acceptance of stain color and beautiful results, pretreat the wood with Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner following label directions.
PRODUCT PREPARATION AND COLOR TESTING:
- Stir Minwax® Gel Stain until creamy before and occasionally during use. Do not thin.
- Always test stain on a scrap piece or hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
- Apply a liberal amount of stain evenly with a brush or clean cloth.
- Wait 3 minutes and remove the excess stain with a clean cloth, wiping in the direction of the grain. Allow to dry 8-10 hours.
- To darken the color, apply additional coats of Minwax® Gel Stain repeating directions for application of first coat. Allow the stain to dry 8 to 10 hours between coats. Do not sand between coats.
CLEAR FINISH APPLICATION:
- After 24 hours (dry time may be extended due to heavy application, low temperatures or high humidity), complete your project by applying a clear protective finish. Recommended finishes include Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Water Based Oil Modified Polyurethane or Helmsman® Spar Urethane for exterior use.
[tab title=”Fiberglass Door Projects:”]
For ease of staining and finishing, it is recommended that you finish the door before installation.
- Make sure the door surface is free of all dirt and foreign matter.
- Stir Minwax® Gel Stain until creamy before use and occasionally during use
- Using a high quality natural bristle brush, spread a thin, even coat over the entire surface, starting with the raised panel sections. Always make final brush strokes in the direction of the embossed grain. Areas of heavier coats should be evened out before moving to a new section.
- Allow stain to dry approximately 6 to 8 hours.
- To darken the color, apply additional coats by following the instructions above. Let the stain dry 6 to 8 hours between coats
CLEAR FINISH APPLICATION:
- Be sure to apply a clear protective finish such as Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethanefor interior use or Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane for exterior applications.
- Before applying a clear finish, test the stain for dryness by wiping a small hidden area with a rag moistened with mineral spirits. If the last coat of stain can be removed with mineral spirits, do not apply a clear protective finish. Wait until the stain is completely dry.
- Allow the finish to dry at least 6 hours before installing or closing the door to avoid sticking.
- For exterior applications, apply a coat of clear protective finish every 12-24 months to keep the door looking beautiful
[tab title=”Metal Door Projects:”]
- You will need: a graining tool, clean, dry, lint-free cloths, and clean, dry synthetic brushes. (Practice with the graining tool on a piece of scrap following the instructions in Step 3 until you feel comfortable using it.)
- Most metal doors come already primed, but usually not in the color you should be starting with.
- Select an oil-based base coat tinted to match the light tone in the wood you’re trying to create.
- Then, mask all areas, such as glass, that you do not wish to stain and remove all hardware and doorknobs. Clean the surface with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to remove all dust, grease and dirt.
- Apply a thin layer of the base coat paint to the entire door and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Plan to work on the door in separate vertical and horizontal sections. Mask off the horizontal sections as you work on the vertical sections. The vertical sections need to be masked off when working on the horizontal sections. Each section must be completely dry before either removing or applying masking tape.
- Select a Minwax® Gel Stain color that corresponds to the darkest color of the wood grain you are trying to create.
- Test stain on hidden area to verify desired color.
- Apply a thin, even coat of Gel Stain to a section using a natural bristle brush or a soft, lint-free cloth. Apply in the direction of the grain you intend to create.
- While the Gel Stain is wet, use a graining tool to create a wood grain pattern.
- Apply downward pressure while moving the graining tool across the section at a constant speed. Use a long, steady, non-stop stroke — rocking the tool one rotation as you move from beginning to end. Keep the graining tool clean by wiping it often with a rag or paper towel between strokes.
- Repeat the above steps section by section.
- Not satisfied? Either wipe the surface clean or re-brush the area and start over again. Wet or tacky Gel Stain can be removed easily with a rag moistened with mineral spirits.
- To complete the graining process, wait until the first coat of Minwax® Gel Stain is completely dry (24-48 hours), then apply a second coat of Gel Stain with a natural bristle brush in the direction of the grain pattern created. Work section by section as you did before. There is no need to mask off any sections.
- While the Gel Stain is wet, you’ll want to use a clean, dry synthetic brush to remove the excess stain and create a uniform look. Use long brush strokes in the direction of the grain and remove the Gel Stain from the brush as it begins to accumulate with paper towels or a rag. The amount of Gel Stain left on will determine the depth of color.
[notice]Helpful Hints: On metal doors, use masking tape to mask off areas where sections meet. Let the section dry to the touch before working on a section next to it. This ensures a clean, straight edge where panels meet.[/notice]
[tab title=”GHS SDS”]
Gel Stain Dojrzały Dąb
Gel Stain Dojrzały Klon
Gel Stain Różany Dąb
Gel Stain Wiśnia
Gel Stain Kasztan
Gel Stain Kalifornijski Orzech
Gel Stain Miodowy Klon
Gel Stain Mahoń
Gel Stain Czerwony Wiąz
Gel Stain Orzech Włoski
Q:WHAT MAKES MINWAX® GEL STAIN DIFFERENT FROM TRADITIONAL STAINS SUCH AS MINWAX® WOOD FINISH™
Its name says it all. Minwax® Gel Stain has a gelled consistency. The non-drip formula makes it an ideal choice for vertical surfaces. Because it is thick-bodied, it stays more toward the surface of the wood, allowing greater color control during application. In addition, Gel Stain can be applied to non-wood surfaces, including metal, veneer and fiberglass, to give them a beautiful wood appearance.
Q:DOES MINWAX® GEL STAIN NEED TO BE TOPCOATED?
For added beauty and protection, we recommend topcoating all interior projects with a clear protective finish such as Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane. For exterior applications, use Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane.
Q:WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO APPLY MINWAX® GEL STAIN TO A FIBERGLASS DOOR?
Fiberglass is non-porous and won’t absorb the stain the way a wood surface does. So, it’s best to apply Gel Stain with a bristle brush. Excess stain should be evened out with the brush – not wiped away with a rag. See application instructions above.
Q:SHOULD MINWAX® PRE-STAIN WOOD CONDITIONER BE USED WITH GEL STAIN?
Yes. Some woods, such as pine and maple, tend to absorb stains unevenly. Before using Gel Stain, Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner should be applied to ensure even stain penetration.
[button size=”medium” align=”center” full=”true” link=”https://minwax.pl/kategorie-produktow/?product_cat=bejce&dppage=1/” linkTarget=”_blank” color=”green” hoverBgColor=”rgba(255,202,0,1)”]Chcesz kupić ten produkt? Kliknij tutaj. Zapraszamy do sklepu internetowego.[/button]